Nursing Admission Assessment Exam FAQs
What can I expect on the test?
The test includes items that assess your knowledge of:
- Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge
- Basic Math Skills Needed for Health Care: basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, household measures, general math facts
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Critical Thinking
- Personality Style (not scored)
Why is the school using this test?
The test assesses an applicant’s academic readiness and is a predictor for success in the first year of a registered nursing programs. Students who do not meet standard scores in math and reading comprehension are more likely to have difficulty with the rigors of the nursing curriculum. Individuals who do not achieve desired scoring on their first attempt should remediate prior to taking the test again. An individualized remediation plan will be available from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to two (2) weeks after completing the test. Students accepted into the nursing program will be expected to use this remediation plan to enhance their success in the program.
Is there a fee for this test and how do I purchase the test?
There is a fee of approximately $46.00 (subject to change) for the Nursing Admission Assessment (HESI A2) Exam. You must have an Evolve account to purchase the test. If you already have an Evolve Account, login and go to step 6 below.
Directions to establish an Evolve account and purchase the HESI A2 Exam are:
- Go to the Evolve Learning System website at evolve.elsevier.com; select Register for Distance Testing.
- On the HESI Assessment page,select the orange link Register for this now.
- From the HESI Registration page, select Redeem/Checkout, which will link you to the Create an account page.
- Complete the information to Create an account using the following information: City - Norfolk, Program Type: Nursing - Associate Degree; Year of Graduation: 2018. Then, Submit.
- Read and select the Registered User Agreement; select Submit.
- From this page, select the blue link My Evolve.
- Select Student Access. From the HESI Assessment page, select "Payments."
- From this page, Input Payment ID 6355 and select Search for the "RN Admission Assessment w/CT (A2) 1st - ti." Disregard the payment due date. Complete payment information and Proceed to Checkout.
NOTE: Before purchasing the test, please note that students must schedule and take the HESI A2 Exam with the Payment ID 6355 by February 15, 2016. There will be no access to the HESI A2 Exam purchased under this payment ID after February 15, 2016. No refunds will be given by Evolve or TCC.
How can I prepare for the HESI A2 Exam?
The nursing program does not endorse or recommend any particular source or method to prepare for the HESI A2 Exam. Numerous study materials for purchase as well as student blogs regarding preparing for the test can be found on the internet. The HESI Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Test Review Text is available for purchase at the TCC Barnes and Noble Book Store or through www.us.elsevierhealth.com
When and how often can I take the test?
Students may take the test for submission to TCC only once within a 12 month period. The timing of the test is up to the individual student and depends on many factors including your education plan and previous educational experience. Opinions on the timing of the test differ.
- Some recommend taking the HESI A2 after completing any developmental courses in reading, writing and/or math. This will allow students time to improve skills and retake if the test if desired/necessary prior to applying to the program.
- Others strongly suggested that the HESI A2 Exam be taken after completing some ENG and BIO general education co-requisite courses such as those listed in the nursing curriculum.
How do I schedule an appointment to take the test?
You can take the test in any testing center location listed below. Appointments must be arranged in advance by emailing the testing center where you want to test. The test is not given during the final exam week. The HESI A2 is a timed test. You will have up to 4 hours to completem this test. Keep in mind that the Testing Center schedules a limited number of appointments per day to take this test. Note: Students must schedule and take the HESI A2 Exam with the Payment ID 6355 by February 15, 2016.
Chesapeake campus firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Beach campus email@example.com
Portsmouth campus firstname.lastname@example.org
Norfolk campus email@example.com
What do I need to bring to the Testing Center on the Exam day?
- receipt for purchase of the test
- a picture ID
- seven digit student number
- your Evolve.elsevier.com login and password.
What not to bring:
No cell phones or other electronic devices are allowed in the testing center.
Personal calculators are not permitted; a basic calculator is available within the test.
Scratch paper will be provided and will be taken up at the end of the exam. Children are not allowed in the Testing Centers.
When will I know my score on the test?
You will receive your score at the completion of your test in the Testing Center. Your score report and remediation plan will also be sent to you by email from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to two (2) weeks after completing the test. Scores will be sent to the email address you provided when registering for the test.
What happens after testing?
The Beazley School of Nursing will have access to official HESI A2 Admission Assessment Exam test scores. Your test score will be one of the factors considered in the selection process for admission to the Beazley School of Nursing. There is no score on this test that will guarantee admission of a student or exclude a student from admission. Students may take the test once within a 12 month period. Test results must be less than two years old at the time of application to the Nursing Program.
The Associate Degree in Nursing at Tidewater Community College is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Richmond, VA 23233; phone 804-367-4515 and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326; phone 404-975-5000;