Minimum technical skills and computer requirements
- The computer should have the following hardware:
- Computer Memory or RAM of at least 4 gigabytes
- Computer speakers
- Web cam and microphone
- Check if your computer meets many of these requirements here, and run the downloaded application file.
- The computer must have one of the following operating systems:
- Windows 7 service pack 1 or higher, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Macintosh OS X 10.7 or higher
- The computer should have multiple Internet browsers installed, because web pages display differently in different browsers.
- Major Browsers:
- Google Chrome (PC or Mac)
- Mozilla Firefox (PC or Mac)
- Internet Explorer (PC)
- Safari (Mac OS)
- Note: Microsoft Edge and other browsers not listed are not compatible with the current Blackboard release.
- Blackboard Browser Checker - Opening this page checks whether Blackboard Learn supports your browser and operating system.
- The computer should have the latest versions of the following productivity software installed:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Flash
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus - Eligible TCC students are able to download Microsoft Office ProPlus applications on up to 5 devices (PC, Mac, and/or mobile device). These applications include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote*, Access*, and Publisher*. *Windows PC client programs and/or features only. Cannot be used across devices
Find out more: TCC students can get Microsoft Office 365 for free
(The login will be your full myTCC email address (e.g. email@example.com) and your password is your myTCC password)
For Office 365 ProPlus questions, contact the TCC IT HelpDesk at Helpdesk@tcc.edu.
- Internet access is required to participate in online components of your college courses. An Internet Service Provider (ISP) will provide you with the software and access necessary to utilize the Internet. A Broadband service is highly recommended. (DSL, Cable Modem, FIOS, etc.) Although not recommended, Satellite and/or Cellular (3G/4G) may also be used.
- If you connect to the Internet through your company, you may need to ensure that appropriate plug-ins and access rights are available to you. Check with your IT department to ensure that you may access course materials from your company's network.
- The ease and convenience of accessing educational materials through the Internet brings with it the need to ensure that a computer does not become targets of unwanted and often malicious attacks and intrusions by computer viruses and/or hackers. To help prevent this, use an anti-virus package and a firewall.
- TCC Students can install free antivirus software for Windows and Macintosh products. Symantec Anti-Virus Protection is available for download from the Blackboard landing page.
- All students admitted to TCC are automatically assigned a student email account provided through the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). College issued e-mail accounts will be used as the official means of communication with students. Students should check their VCCS e-mail accounts on a daily basis. New student email accounts are activated within 15 minutes of the application being processed.
- Using your VCCS/ TCC Gmail account is accessible through MyTCC and the accounts usage is required to protect your privacy.
- Students needing assistance accessing their email account should contact the TCC Information Center by email or calling 757-822-1122.