TCC Home Page             

TEXT ONLY

Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
 
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library


TCC office of emergency PREPAREDNESS

Hurricane season, June 1 - November 30, 2017

SEASONS1Hampton Roads is at risk for tropical storms and hurricanes. The most active time for hurricanes in our region is from the middle of August through the middle of October.

For 2017, the National Hurricane Center predicts a 45 percent chance of an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Stay alert to changing conditions! Hurricane Matthew in 2016 was not forecast to have a major impact on Hampton Roads, but it resulted in a great deal of damage and extensive flooding.

Take time to plan now for the possibility of a tropical storm or hurricane.

TCC alerts logo
  • Sign up for TCC Alerts to receive real-time messages and warnings via email, phone and text.
  • Print out your cell phone contacts. Make sure all family members have the phone numbers and email addresses for an out-of-area contact in case you are separated during or after the storm.
  • Keep your electronics charged.
  • Keep an emergency kit prepared in case you have to leave quickly. Have a plan for kids, the elderly and pets.
  • Minimize the amount of frozen food you have on hand so if your power goes off you haven’t lost all that food.
  • Keep plenty of bottled water available.
  • Keep insurance papers, family and pet medical records in zip-lock bags to keep them dry and available.

Ready Virginia logo
Learn more about emergency preparedness at vaemergency.gov.


OTHER RESOURCES
Ready Hampton Roads

Virginia Department of Emergency Management

ReadyVirginia Mobile App

National Hurricane Center

2017 hurricane names

Hurricane watches and warnings
A warning means that hurricane conditions are expected whereas a watch means that conditions are possible. Learn more about watches and warnings

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale
Tropical storms with sustained winds of 74 or more miles per hour are classified as hurricanes.