3. DEMONSTRATION OF ENGLISH
If English is not your first/native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency that meets the admission requirements of all applicants to the college pursuant to an I-20 and F1 status.
English proficiency may be demonstrated in the following ways:
- An international TOEFL report with a minimum score of 61 iBT (500 paper-based). TCC’s TOEFL School Code is 5787.
- An academic IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
- Successful completion of TCC’s ESL placement test with a faculty placement of ESL Advanced Level or higher.
- A GCE or GCSE (O-Level/A-Level) passing score in English (grade A-C) or IGCSE pass in English as a Second Language
- An SAT score of 500 or higher in both reading and writing
- Transcripts from an accredited U.S. college or university for Freshman Composition with a grade of “C” or better.
- Evidence of possession of a U.S. college/university degree (Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate, etc.)
Your international admission to TCC cannot be completed until you have demonstrated the English proficiency required of F1 applicants. (*English proficiency requirements are subject to change without notice) Regardless of your English proficiency, you will take a placement test upon arrival to the college unless you have completed the equivalent of Freshman Composition (TCC's ENG 111) at an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of "C" or better.
4. HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR SECONDARY STUDIES FINAL
DIPLOMA / CERTIFICATE
F1 applicants must provide a COPY of the document that indicates completion of secondary studies, i.e., high school diploma or secondary studies final certificate (with an English translation if applicable).
5. IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS
F1 Transfer students must submit COPIES of their current immigration documents, including:
- I-20 from their current school
- The identification page of their passport
- Current paper or web-based Form I-94 (obtain a copy of your web-based I-94 here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html)
- F1 visa
6. SEVIS F1 TRANSFER-IN FORM
Please complete the top portion of this form and submit to the PDSO/DSO at your current school along with a copy of your TCC acceptance letter. Your current PDSO/DSO must then return the completed form directly to the International Student Services at TCC. Student faxed or hand-carried copies will not be accepted.
7. TRANSCRIPTS FROM CURRENT SCHOOL
F1 Transfer students must submit unofficial copies of all academic transcripts from their current school as part of the admission process (ESL/IEP transcripts do not need to be submitted). Unofficial transcripts must contain the student's name and the name of the school.
**Transfer students who wish to transfer academic credits from their previous institution must request that an OFFICIAL transcript be sent directly to TCC's Central Records Office.
8. HEALTH INSURANCE
All students enrolled at Tidewater Community College in F1 status must carry acceptable insurance for themselves and all dependents in F2 status. Evidence of coverage must be submitted during the student's first week of classes and continuously maintained the entire time that they remain a student at TCC, even during the summer. Please contact International Student Services for a list of some acceptable insurance providers/policies.
9. EVALUATION OF FOREIGN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS
TCC does not evaluate foreign transcripts for transfer credit.
Please do not send your academic transcript evaluations to International Student Services. If you have coursework from an overseas college or university for which you would like to try to receive transfer credit, click the link below for information on private academic credentialing agencies that are approved by TCC: