TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library
Student Information

Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for admission into Tidewater Community College?

There are nine easy steps to enroll.  Visit any campus Enrollment Services Office for assistance or go to for more information.

  1. Determine eligibility for admission
  2. Obtain a TCC Application
  3. Return Application to any Enrollment Services Office in person or by mail.
  4. Apply for Financial Aid
  5. Determine Tuition Costs
  6. Take Assessment Tests
  7. Talk to a Counselor about Programs and Degrees
  8. Enroll in Classes
  9. Pay your tuition

May I request that forms, program information, etc., be MAILED to me?

Have information mailed by filling out a TCC Information Center form;
OR contact us by PHONE: 757 - 822 - 1122 or toll-free 1 - 800 - 371 - 0898
OR E-MAIL us at . You should receive the requested information within 2 weeks.

I haven’t attended Tidewater Community College for several years.
Do I have to reapply?

If you have not been enrolled in classes at TCC for more than three years you will have to update your records at Enrollment Services Office on your campus.  Complete an application for admission and print “UPDATE” on the top

 If it has been less than three years you will still be able to register as usual.  Any time you are away from TCC for any length of time, it is a good idea to visit your campus Counseling and Enrollment Services offices to make sure that your records are up to date and to see if there have been any changes made to your curriculum.

Where can I get information on taking the placement/assessment test?

All students who wish to enroll in courses at TCC must participate in the College Assessment Testing Program unless evidence of satisfactory performance in college level courses is presented from another institution or if the student has successfully completed eithert the ACT or SAT instrument within three years of the time you enroll in either a Math or English course at TCC. For more information, go to

How do I apply for the Norfolk Naval Shipyard Apprenticeship Program?

Norfolk Naval Shipyard’s (NNSY) Apprentice Program is a four-year Student Career Experience Program (SCEP), which is designed to attract talented students to federal public service. Students are selected for various blue-collar trades in occupational fields such as Welder, Pipefitter, Electrician, Machinist, Rigger, Fabric Worker, and Metals Inspectors. Students are taken through a very vigorous training program combining academics, trade theory training and on-the-job experience to become skilled journeymen. Please see NNSY's web site for Apprenticeship Program Information.

English is not my first language. How can I get assistance?

Tidewater Community College's ESL Program is for any person whose first or primary language is not English. There are many benefits of attending the ESL Program at TCC. The program consists of three levels, from Intermediate ESL, to the Bridge Program, which prepares advanced ESL students for college-level courses. Each level of instruction has courses in reading, writing, and oral communication, along with workshops and language labs to supplement the regular courses. For more information, go to

What special services do you offer for members of the military?

TCC provides service members, their families, government employees and students the convenience of base offices at area military installations. Military Base Representatives can assist currently enrolled students and prospective students through the college enrollment process. For more information on Military Services, go to

I attended another college before coming to TCC. Will my credits transfer?

You first need to request your official transcripts to be sent by the previous institution to: Tidewater Community College
Central Records Office
P. O. Box 9000
Norfolk VA 23509-9000

After being accepted into a specific program, you would complete an “Evaluation of Previous Educational Experiences” online form and submit it to Central Records.

How do I change my curriculum?

Discuss the changes with your counselor or academic advisor, to make sure you understand what is involved in your new program. If you decide to change, complete the formal process by submitting the completed Curriculum Change form to the Counseling Center at your campus.

How can I get credit for Standardized Testing such as CLEP and AP?

Visit our Assessment Testing website for further information

CLEP info:
AP info:

How much does it cost to attend Tidewater Community College?

Tidewater Community College’s tuition is subject to change.  To check the latest information you can call or visit any Enrollment Services Office or go to the tuition chart

How do I know if I am eligible to qualify for in-state tuition?

To find out if you are eligible for in-state tuition you may visit your campus Enrollment Services Office.  You can also check eligibility at

How long will it take to get my refund?

If you do get a refund, the state will mail a check within three to five weeks from the last day to drop and receive a refund.  The check is mailed to the address you have given to the college, so make sure it is correct. If you paid by credit card and want your card credited, you have to present it at the business office when you withdraw from the course.