TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library Financial Aid TV
How to:

Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently-asked Questions
Link to Financial Aid TV
Q.  How do I apply for Financial Aid at TCC?

A.  Please follow the steps listed in the Application Process.

Q.   What types of Financial Aid are available at TCC?

A.  Assistance is available for students through a variety of sources including:

Q.   Can I use Financial Aid to purchase my books?

A. Students with remaining financial aid balances after tuition and fees are paid may use the remaining balance at the Barnes & Noble at Tidewater Community College Bookstore either at the store or online.  More information can be found at the link:  Buy Books with Financial Aid.  Students who wish to use their remaining financial aid balance to purchase books from another retailer may do so once they have received their remaining financial aid balance checks after the semester begins.

Q.  I know that I am not eligible for grants, but I only want a loan.  Do I still have to complete a FAFSA?

A. YES.  In order for the College to determine your eligibility for Federal Stafford Loans, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.   Once you have received your Financial Aid Award Notice, you may proceed with the loan application.

Q.  What is "financial need"?

A.  Financial need is the difference between the "cost of attendance", the "expected family contribution", and other resources as determined by the U.S. Department of Education from the information provided on your FAFSA. Most forms of financial aid are based on this determined need.

Q.   Why am I classified as a dependent student when my parents do not pay for my education?

A.  There is an expectation for all parents to make a contribution to their child's educational expenses.  The U.S. Department of Education defines a dependent student as one who is under the age of 24, not married, has no dependents or children, is not a veteran, is not currently an active-duty military member, or is not an orphan or ward of the court.  If a student meets all of these criteria, parent information is necessary for completion of the FAFSA in order to determine the Expected Family Contribution.

Q.  How do I apply for Veterans Educational Benefits?

A.  Please visit the Veterans Office at your campus to receive a packet of information to begin the process for receiving your benefits.  You will also find more information at

Q.  How can I check my award status?

A. Please visit the Application Status page for more information.

Q.  Who should I contact for assistance?

A.  Financial Aid Advisors are available at each campus to assist you with all financial aid related matters. For general questions after you have filed the FAFSA, you may contact the TCC Information Center at 822-1122.

Back to Top